CORVETTE GRAND SPORT

( Please click on the pictures for better viewing )

I planned the diorama as the Grand Sport to be in the lead, outgoing a left-bend and having some oversteer which is countersteered by the pilot. So, the car has leaned to its right. To give this motion, the suspension was altered. The left-hand side suspension elements were stretched whereas the right-hand side ones compressed to give the car a lean of about 3 degrees. On the right, you see the front and rear suspension systems. The tires were weathered afterwards to look like in use. front suspensionrear suspension
As usual, the engine is constructed. I learned that this specific car did not have the engine given with the kit ( Horizontal carbs ) but the first L-88 engine with the vertical draft carb. So I converted this engine to the L-88 . See the pics of the original engine and the model under construction. Ignition wiring and breather tubes are added. real enginemodel engine
Now was the turn of the bodywork. I marked the areas to be cut (right)  and cut them out (bottom) and placed a plastic insert in the triangular recess left on the boot. But it was impossible to make the joint invisible due to flexibility, so I had to cut out the whole boot area and put a new sheet of plastic, as seen at the bottom right. The aerodynamic roll-bar cover was thickened by glueing a plastic sheet to the inside of the car body and sanded smooth. cutouts marked
body as cut
whole boot cutboot replaced
The headrest bulge was carved from wood, covered with automotive polyester putty and sanded down to shape as appears at the right. carvingputty coveredfinished bulge
The two holes on the right fender were covered with automotive polyester putty and three holes drilled as in the real car. The headrest bulge was put into place, the fuel filler shield was made from plastic sheet and also glued in place. Then the primer coat was painted. holes ...body primed
Well, the body is painted at last. It was really a challenge to match the tone as explained in the preceding page. body painted
Now is the driver's turn. I used Fujimi's driver figures for the purpose. But obviously, the standard arm positions were not what I would like, so I checked the angular positions. The arms were cut at appropriate points, test-fitted and glued to final position. The center of the fists were drilled so that he could grab the steering wheel. Then of course came putty and painting. testing the armfist is drilledarm cut in piecestesting right armtesting left armdriver painted
The driver was then put together with the dashboard assembly and the seat so that he could be belted. The belt accessories were from the box as photoetched parts and the belt was scratchbuilt from masking tape and painted. driver in placeseat belt
Then the driver was put into the cockpit and the cockpit assembly into the body. The windshield was cut to the special profile and the periphery was treated with Bare Metal Foil. The headlamp covers were also treated the same way. body assembly
The engine was put on the chassis and the previously prepared wheels were glued in place. The steering was given the preferred angle for the aimed motion and glued. chassis assembled
The car was finished with the application of the stickers. The stickers were computer-generated and color-copied on decal paper. This photo shows the car with "Roger Penske Chevrolet" on the front fenders missing. This is due to the fact that the copier ink proved to be transparent when applied on the dark blue body. So I had to go and have the writing applied on the decal paper  at an advertiser's, with printing ink. finished car
NOW , YOU WOULD 
LIKE  TO GO  TO........
THE TRACK
SHELBY MUSTANG GT 350 R
track
gt 350 r
BACK TO THE DIORAMA PAGE