SHELBY  MUSTANG  GT 350 R
.
( Please click on the pictures for better viewing )
.
The construction began with the engine. To convert it to the "R" version, the air filter was not put on, but a scratchbuilt induction cone. The engine was ignition-wired from Detail Master.
engine
It is almost impossible to see a racing car intact, so I decided to put on a crashed door panel. I cut out the door and formed a new one from aluminium sheet. I then created a crash sign by pressing another model car on to the door and making a plastic deformation. I then glued the door panel into place by 5-minute epoxy.
crashed door put in
The front bumper had to be adapted to the"R" version. So it was cut off and the middle part cut off for the proper opening. The inner parts of the cut-off area were covered with parts cut from styrene sheet and then glued on to the body. The new assembly was then applied putty for the proper profile.
bumper cut off
The "R" version had the back seat removed, so did the model have to. I cut the back portion of the seat tub and put in a suitable replacement part to cover the opened-up part of the driveshaft tunnel.
back seat removed
Then putty was applied and sanded smooth and primed. The top of the gas tank was also covered with styrene sheet.
drivshaft tunnel
The kit had no roll-bars, so I adapted one from my parts box. The supports were made from toothpicks since I had no suitable plastic bars right then. Anyway, after painting, it was impossible to distinguish them.
roll-bar construction
The front suspension was also altered for the proper lean and steering position.
front suspension
The steering wheel spokes were drilled for realistic appearance
holes being drilledholes drilled.
The dashboard was done and the steering wheel assembled.
dashboard
The driver was prepared in the same manner as of the Grand Sport driver. However, this one looked like Chuck Norris! Then he was also placed in the cockpit and secured with a completely scratchbuilt seat-belt.
driver prepareddriver in cockpit
The chassis was now completed and waiting for the engine. The cockpit was glued in place after the engine was put in.
chassis assembled
The body was painted and the main stripes were also applied by paint. The side stickers were computer-generated, since the kit was the Hertz type and with gold-color stripes. The window contours and door handles  were treated with Bare metal Foil.
body painted
As for the rims, "torque-thrust" from my parts box were used to suit the "R" version.The tires were aged with sandpaper, the headlamps were applied those "X" bands on the lenses, and other accessories put on the car.
3/4 rear right..3/4 front left
The computer-generated door number was put in place, then scratched both with a metallic piece and a red crayon to leave a side-to-side impact signs. Other computer-generated stickers were also applied and it was ready to take its part on the track.
crashed door detail
..
..
NOW , YOU WOULD
LIKE  TO GO  TO........
THE TRACK
CORVETTE GRAND SPORT
track
grand sport
BACK TO THE DIORAMA PAGE